You will get the best care that I can give! I value continuity of care, which means staying with the woman throughout the entire process of childbirth and developing a trusted relationship. During this time it will be important for you to have a safe place to express all your fears, joys, and ask as many questions you want. The more knowledge I have the easier it will be to assess and detect any concerns that may arise.
What to expect at a prenatal visit:
- I will monitor your physical and emotional health and address any concerns you may have along the way. This will also be a time to determine the baby’s position, listen to the baby’s heart rate, and assess the growth rate and size of the baby.
- Our prenatal appointments usually are 45-60 minutes long with the exception of appointments where there is more educational information to review. The typical schedule is as follows:
- Once a month until 28-32 weeks
- Twice a month until 37 weeks
- At 37 weeks we meet the whole birth team (people you want to attend and the team I put together) and we will do a tour of the home to figure out where we plan for the birth to happen.
- Every week until the birth or 42 weeks
Intrapartum Care (Labor and Birth)
Once labor has started my assistant and I will come to you in the comfort of your own home and assess your progress. During this time you will have the freedom to birth and labor any way you feel comfortable. You may eat and drink as you want, change positions, use the birth pool or water therapy if desired and have a support team surrounding you and encouraging you in this process. As your midwife I will know what you want and do my best to protect this space and help you get the birth you wanted. I will also be able to assess and know when to step in if medically indicated. A few hours after you have given birth, bonded with your baby, established breastfeeding, and had a good meal I will make sure you and baby are stable and ready for some sleep. When its time for the team to leave laundry will be started and there will be no traces that a birth happened in your home. I will continue to be on call for you and will return within 24-36 hours after birth to check on you.
After having a baby there is a huge amount of transition that the entire family goes through. I will provide postpartum support for 6 weeks following the birth and be there to help prepare you and adjust to those changes as best as I can. We spend a lot of time preparing for the birth and sometimes the “post” birth needs just as much time if not more time!
- I will check on you and provide breastfeeding assistance (We will have access to a lactation consultant if needed)
- I will check baby’s vitals, weight, and well-being (Hearing Screen, Newborn Blood Screen, and Congenital Heart Defect Screens are all available to be done in your home)
- Footprints done for a decorative birth certificate
- Provide documents for social security number and birth certificate
- I will be available to answer any questions or concerns that you may have
Schedule of postpartum visits:
- Home visits on Day 1, 3, and 7
- Office visits at 3 weeks, and 6 weeks
- Continued 24/7 midwife access through 6 weeks postpartum